Thursday, December 23, 2004

timmy the timex (among other things)

ciao dear ones,
I have a lot of things to say, but I just wanted to share something with you guys first. This is an email I sent to my family and friends that I found the other day while cleaning out my account; it's about 2 years old, but still relevant (also because I have lost my watch again).

buongiorno ragazzi,
as many of you know, i have spent the last 26 days (give or take) searching for my Timex (Timmy), high and low. I have spent many hours mentally retracing the steps that led right up to the disappearance of my beloved timepiece. jenna and i have torn apart the house. i looked in the freezer and in all the trash cans. twice. even after we had already taken the trash out. i moved billy, the bookcase, to have a look behind him (which wasn't easy - he is 7 feet tall and full of books). i spazzed. repeatedly. the situation had become dire. clearly, like socks in a dryer, my Timex had vanished, inexplicably, perhaps gone off in search of slimmer wrists.

i woke up late this morning. in other news, my Timex reported for duty this morning as well. in my sock drawer. the Velcro on the wristband was clinging to a little worn sock in the back of a drawer that I had in fact already looked through at least twice. Clearly he had grown tired of upper-half-of-body life and had decided to see how the lower half lived. Realizing that the lower half generally was stuck in a drawer, he came clean and made his presence known.

this is only to say that we all need a vacation every now and then - even timepieces. Time is a human invention, and sometimes it hides from us in sock drawers (which seems to say that you should sleep late more often, and linger longer over your coffee, and generally move about slower than normally we all do).

best of luck in losing your watch, and finding it again.
love,
vanessa

at a time of year when we all run around like crazy people, i thought it fitting to remember a time when i was watchless, and none the worse for it. :)

in other email-related babble, this is an excerpt from an email i got from a songwriter friend of mine the other day. i think he said it (it being the things all songwriters think) really well. Mark Zeus said (emphasis is my own):

"Doing what I do, it's often hard to find the separations between the art, the business, and personal concerns. We write and perform our songs with integrity, wisdom and grace; then often sell what we do with hype and in competition. We become so consumed by and entangled within our endeavors that we don't take the time to see and feel our lives as they are. It's important to put things into perspective. Find center through positive thinking and a connection to our spirituality and God. Recognize, acknowledge and communicate with the people who are important to us. Realize that what we do is not who we are. We are what we feel, and are shaped by the people who care about and nurture us. No one stands alone."

Anyhow, those are your deep thoughts for the day. Lose your watch and realize that everyone will love you anyway, if you let yourself be loved.
Merry Christmas and may all of you have a 2005 filled with peace and prosperity (did I mention PEACE?? PLEASE?)
love
vanessa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home